Kevin Bae

Non-Social in a Socially Networked World

Mass killing by e-bike in NYC

This should make people think twice before allowing e-bikes to be stored in bike shops below apartments. What we desperately need are common sense e-bike control laws.

Four people are dead and two more are critically injured after a fire broke out at an e-bike store in Lower Manhattan early Tuesday morning, New York Fire Department Commissioner Laura Kavanagh said.

“It is very clear that this was caused by lithium-ion batteries and e-bikes. There was a very large number of batteries and e-bikes,” Kavanaugh said as she stood outside of HQ E-Bike Repair at a press conference Tuesday in Chinatown.

Two men and two women died in the fire, which broke out shortly after midnight Tuesday. Two other women are in critical condition, officials said. 

The store was located on the first floor of the building, while residential apartments were on the floors above.

4 dead, 2 critically injured in New York City fire caused by lithium-ion batteries, e-bikes – Just the News